Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Robin Hood Finished

We finally finished Howard Pyles The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood. It has taken us some time to get through his book but every time we would pick it up and continue it the boys loved it. The old style of talking alluded us all at first but as I was reading today through the last adventure I would stop and ask Milo what was happening and he was able to recall what I had just read. It goes to show that our children can comprehend more that people think. They just need to be exposed to more than sesame street and Disney.

My children have been introduced to a whole new world of vocabulary. It makes me smile when I hear them using words that they have learned. Now I will admit that we did not look up every word we did not understand. When the children questioned the meaning of a word and I also did not understand it we would search for its meaning.

Howard Pyle 1853-1911
Our version of the story was not full of pictures. Just a few choice color pictures at the center of the book. The children would color or do a quiet activity as we read. Once they even tried acting out the story as we read. I encourage you to try a book with an older English  It might feel impossible at first but you will get the hang of it. I found this easier to read than Huck Finn.

One word of warning. Read the Epilogue before sharing it with your children and decide if it is something you want to share with him. You could read it ahead of time and give them the main idea of how he dies. I felt it was to graphic for my 4 and 8 year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment